segunda-feira, 3 de abril de 2017


Donner - Milic

1. d4, Nf6 2. c4, g6 3. g3, Bg7 4. Bg2, d5 5. cxd5, Nxd5 6. e4, Nb4 7. a3, N4c6 8.d5, Nd4 9. Nc3, c6 10. Nge2

After 10.Be3, White would have had a greater advantage.

10. ..., Bg4 11. O-O, Nxe2+ 12. Nxe2, O-O (12. ..., Qc8!) 13. h3, Bd7 14. Nc3, e6!

Black's last is an excellent move. The passed pawn is weak if anything, but I wanted to win, which would have been well-nigh impossible after a general exchange in the centre.

15. d6!??, e5! 16. Be3, Be6 17. Qd3, Nd7 18. f4, Nb6 19. Rf2!, f5?

Milic failed to understand the position. he should not relinquish files and squares surrounding the passed pawn on d6. With f6 he could have closed the position, condemning White to impotence. Now he ended up in a lost position.

20. fxe5, Bxe5 21. Bf4, Bxf4 22. Rxf4, fxe4 23. Rxf8+, Qxf8 24. Nxe4, Qg7 25. Nc5!, Bd5 26. Bxd5+, Nxd5 27. Re1!, b6


28. d7!, Qf7 29. Qe4, Rf8 30. Ne6, Qxd7

Too bad he did not play Nf6. When I asked him, he came up with some absurd line. Obviously, he hadn't noticed that White would have emerged a piece up with 31.d8=N!!

31. Nxf8, Kxf8 32. Qe6, Qc7 33. Qe8+, Kg7 34. Qe5+, Qxe5 35. Rxe5

Decent players resign in such a position. Black did not and managed a draw, of which I am so ashamed that I will not give the rest of the game. Et le pion noir dit au pion blanc. "Donner:"

It was not the first time this happened to me. My repeated failures (until recently) against Wijnans were due to the same phenomenon. Always reaching winning positions, never winning. And the second game of my match against Euwe, in which I gave a pawn away in a drawn position, was something similar.

I love all positions. Give me a difficult positional game, I'll play it. Give me a bad position, I'll defend it. Openings, endgames, complicated positions and dull, drawn positions, I love them all and will give them my best efforts. But totally winning positions I cannot stand. There are other players in Holland who suffer from the same pathetic phenomenon, notably Van den Berg and Barendregt, who, as a result, are not really taken seriously and of whom it is mockingly said: "Just give a pawn away and you're sure to win." It is much better, in fact, to play an objectively less correct game but to be able to win once you've got a winning position, as is the case with Cortlever and Prins, for example.

And that is why I am writing all this under the heading "On the justice of chess". For it is indeed the strongest who will win: not the one who is objectively the best thinker, but the one who is the most tenacious fighter, as is also the case in life.

Club Magazine DD, Jul/Set 1950


Publicado pela New in Chess, "The King" é a tradução inglesa do clássico de 1987 "De Koning", uma antologia de artigos escritos pelo grande J.H. Donner, organizada por Tim Krabbé e Max Pam.